Hey guys. Wow, it’s been a while hasn’t it? This is just a quick update to let you know everything that’s been going on.
- Summer in St. Louis is hot. Really hot. Triple digit hot. Yes, I know, it’s summer in St. Louis. But we’ve actually been spoiled these past couple of years. It’s been hot, but not that hot. Yesterday we broke a record for 108 (that’s 42.2 for you metric folks). It was like being in an oven. There was a severe storm last night that cooled things down, but it’s still hot today. I’m hoping we get more rain tonight.
- Richie was diagnosed with pancreatitis and hospitalized for several days over the Fourth of July holiday. He’s home now and is doing better and is much happier. He has to quit drinking (alcohol is one of the causes) and he has made peace with that. He’s already found a non-alcoholic beer that he likes! My mom came over several days after I brought Richie home and she bought us a ton of groceries and cleaned our apartment. It was super nice because I was such a wreck while he was gone. I had just enough energy to come home from the hospital and sit on the couch and watch Bake Off before going to bed. Silver lining to the hospital stay: I got a lot of knitting done.
- Speaking of Richie, his daughter is off to college NEXT. MONTH.
I’ve known the kiddo since she was eight and I am so not prepared for this. My mom has bought her some stuff for her dorm room, and I am knitting her washcloths in her school colors. She has to be there on the 15th. That’s only a little over three weeks! NOT PREPARED.
4. I’m learning Swedish! I have a fan fic friend who lives in Sweden and she’s been trying to get me to move over there. I was initially going to learn Bosnian (my company has a lot of Bosnian customers and a lot of Bosnian employees), but Duolingo doesn’t offer it. They do offer a bunch of other amazing languages FOR FREE. So, I went with Swedish. Jag talar Svenska! Only 39% though. I sent her a box of American treats (mint Oreos, Twizzlers; Reece’s; a Zero bar; Sour Patch kids; more that I can’t think of), and she sent me a box of Swedish treats (I could write odes to the Geisha bar).
5. I have pen pals! I have…. three virtual and one snail mail! I love snail mail! So nice to get something in the mail besides bills. I’m making sure to buy super nice stationery, but it’s hard to find good stores in St. Louis. I went to the Paper Place, but they were unhelpful. I think I might try Papyrus next. Or Etsy. Or just get more from Nostalgic Impressions, which is where my current batch came from. I helped my friend Amy at her church yesterday, sorting and organizing craft supplies for a sale, and she was kind enough to let me take some treasures home. So I have some cards and beautiful wooden stamps, so hopefully I can dress up my letters a little bit.
Okay, I think you guys are all caught up on the basics. My writing hiatus is over, and I sent Top a knit teddy bear. I should probably write a post about that. I should probably get caught up on all of my baking posts first. I am SUPER behind. Sorry about that. Thanks for sticking around!
If you’ve left….. (nice loyalty)
I’m never sure where to put the apostrophe.
Anyways, it’s 11:28 pm where I am, and I finished all of my NYE plans. I’m staying in tonight (thanks Amy for the invite!), and judging by the amount of emergency vehicles that have passed down my street, it was the right decision.
I’ve finished up all the laundry; done all the dishes (except what’s in the dishwasher); cleaned the kitchen and living room; cleaned out the litter box and took out the trash; put fresh sheets on the bed. The idea is that keep my life clean and organized in the new year.
I dropped off all library books and donated a bag of clothes and books to Goodwill.
I have a little bit of cash in my wallet to encourage to the flow of money. (sounds silly, but I got two raises this year, so)
The thing you are doing at midnight is what you will be doing a lot of in the new year. I have plans to be eating cake and reading a book. Richie is playing a gig down in Cape Girardeau. So he will play a lot of music, and we won’t see each other often. So… that sucks.
I don’t know why everyone is so excited for the new year- I doubt much will change. But, I hope everyone stays safe tonight, at least.
1.What I’m Reading: The Terror by Dan Simmons. It’s a fictional re-telling of the Franklin Expedition of 1846. It’s a spooky read- aside from cold and starvation, there is something lurking out there on the ice that wants the sailors. I freeze while reading this
2. What I’m Knitting: Richie’s beard club is hosting a cold weather clothing drive for their December meeting. I have some yarn I don’t love, so I’m just whipping up some simple scarves. I started on Wednesday and have one scarf finished
3. What I’m Watching: The Great Australian Bake Off
4. I found a new recipe in one of my cookbooks. It has half the ingredients of my buttermilk bread recipe, and it’s so much easier. Equally tasty too
5. I made some lemon lime cupcakes over the summer, from this site. Citrus bakes are best during the warmer months. I also finally, finally nailed the icing. After giving the kitchen time to cool off after baking, I turned the thermostat down a couple of degrees, which kept the icing from melting
6. Yesterday I made a cookie in the mug for the second time, but it was the first time the recipe actually worked. There was a calming masterpost making it’s way around tumblr, for people to help care for themselves after the election. I decided to try this recipe because I didn’t think I had enough ingredients to make a full batch of cookies and was too lazy to go out for more
Life changing, you guys
7. And finally- just photos of Winter
I know. I haven’t blogged in ages. I know. But I have a super good excuse, I promise.
Meet our new son, Lord Winter Snowden. Winter for short. We adopted him from The Humane Society when he was three months old. His cage was across from the door when we walked in. He had been lying down (laying? I’m never sure) but he stood up when we came close. He followed my fingers and I could hear him purring through the glass. I knew then that this was my cat.
He is very active and curious, and very affectionate, which I am fine with :o)
He likes to help me knit. Which, while I appreciate the thought, is really not necessary.
He’s found the 55 gallon fish tank. Or as my friend Tammy calls it, the sushi bar
He and Richie get along (no matter what Richie says), which is nice. Richie is allergic (although his allergies don’t act up much) and he’s had bad experiences with cats. But maybe it’s because we adopted Winter together while he was a baby that helps with their bonding.
Have I turned into one of those people who constantly posts photos of their pet all over social media?
I’ll try to return to Bake Off blogging soon.