- What I’m reading: A Suitable Boy, by Vikram Seth. It’s huge. 1349 pages. I’m only on page 175. It’s cool, though. I feel like I’m learning a bit about Indian history. It’s the first Indian novel I’ve read, and Seth is the first Indian author I’ve read. I don’t count Rudyard Kipling (he’s white and British- colonialists don’t count) or the Jungle Books (they’re about animals).
- What I’m knitting: Another Multnomah. This time for a wedding present. I don’t know if she has stumbled across this blog, so I’m going to keep the details to myself. I’m almost finished. I’ll post photos after the shower.
- Work is going good. Finally. We have finally hired extra people and are now fully staffed. Of course, they can’t do much until they have completed training, but still. We had a bit of a setback last month when my boss lost his battle with cancer. But my overtime is over (thank god) and I’m back to normal hours. I’m no longer stressed. I miss the extra money, but I feel like it’s working out.
- My fan fiction is also going well. I have 74 stories. My most subscribed is 255. 255 individual people read that story. It kinda blows me away a little. Okay, a lot.
- I’ve decided to get back into baking. I’ve seen the Great British Bake Off way too many times- which we all know is a lie, because there is no such thing as watching the Great British Bake Off too many times. Let’s be real here. It’s a bit shaky at first because it’s been so long. But, my new manager (who is a twig) is looking to gain weight, so I’m revving up to hone my skills. Her birthday is at the end of the month, so I will be baking cupcakes for her. Maybe I should do a weekly treat. Hmm. I wish there was a baking book that divided recipes up by skill level.
- Richie has joined a climbing gym. He took Lauren and me with him today as guests. It was fun. I only kinda sucked! I got to the top of one wall twice, and a second once. The others I attempted I only got halfway. I have to use my legs and feet more. I didn’t join today (we need groceries), but I do have a guest pass for $1o. So I’ll go one more time before making a final decision. They also offer yoga, which I’ve been wanting to try
So I went in for my annual well woman exam today. I’m always tender after, so I prepared an afternoon of pampering (now that I’m back to regular hours, this was easy to do, but that’s for another post).
First, I have to say that Richie is the best boyfriend ever for driving me. Even if he did take a nap in the parking lot. :oD
When I got home, I drew a bath as hot as I could stand it and soaked until I looked like a freshly cooked lobster. Then I put on fresh clean pajamas, made some hot tea, and after a healthy dinner, I baked brownies.
Gotta balance out that healthy, right?
I had a box mix
Unfortunately, I had no vegetable oil.
So what did I do?
Well first, I panicked. Obviously. Then, I jumped on Google, and found this– a list of substitutions for vegetable oil. There are a LOT of suggestions.
I chose butter, because I didn’t have any of the other items listed
The note says to bake for an extra two to three minutes than you usually would. I used a 9×13 pan. I usually would have started at 24 minutes, but I started at 26.
26 minutes, seemed to work, and the toothpick came out clean.
So how did they taste?
Damn delicious :o)
Yep, I’m giving it another try. We all know it wasn’t very successful last time. I’m not Catholic, but I always try to give something up for Lent as a personal challenge.
I haven’t had a soda in a week.
I haven’t had any sweets in two days.
The way my brain works is that I like to treat myself. Because I deserve it. I just have to change how I reward myself. I think the first couple of weeks are the hardest. My issue with calorie counting a few months ago was I just got tired of writing everything down. So I’m thinking of maybe having bread and butter as a snack. It’s not sweet, but it is a little decadent.
I’m also thinking of making a homemade trail mix with cashews and raisins.
Richie says raisins are sugar and don’t count.
Neither does hot chocolate.
Look ya’ll- I need a little bit of something. I’m already giving up cookies, cake, brownies, ice cream, candy, donuts, and pop tarts. Let me have my damn raisins and cocoa!
Baby steps, you know?
Note: I will be cheating on March 4th. That’s me and Richie’s 9 year anniversary and there WILL be dessert.
Wish me luck, guys
Remember how I mentioned that this year was going to be all selfish knitting? Because I didn’t knit a single thing for myself last year?
Yeah, that isn’t quite working out.
Well first, I didn’t finish Vee’s scarf by the end of December. It stretched out into January. I shipped it a couple of weeks ago, but I’m not sure if she’s received it yet.
I knit myself a hat (it’s darling) and I’m knitting a big bulky blanket that is taking a while and I was going to knit myself a scarf.
Things have been pretty shitty at work lately. Just ridiculous. However there is one woman who has become a sort of advocate for myself and another coworker. She’s taken matters into her own hands and has gone to her boss about things that have been happening. I’m still waiting to see what will happen, but it’s still so thoughtful and kind of someone in a different department to try to make things easier for us.
It’s a lightweight scarf and a really super easy pattern and it’s knitting up quick and easy.
Well, it is when I’m not being lazy.
But after this, it’s really ALL FOR ME